Card options for 16-18 year olds
If you are aged 16-18 and in full-time third level education, you now have a choice of TFI Leap Card types. Most 16-18 year olds can get the cheapest fares with the Child 16-18 Leap Card. However, if you use commercial bus operators you may be better off using a Student Leap Card instead, as participating operators are giving cheaper student fares. The option you choose will depend on your travel needs.
Child Card 16-18yr old
- Available to all 16-18 year olds
- This card gives the Child fare on eligible public transport services, including: Dublin Bus, Go-Ahead Ireland, Luas, Bus Éireann, TFI Local Link, DART and Commuter Rail
- Card expires on your 19th birthday
- Card is posted to your address following online application
- Available to 16-18 year olds (and 24+) in full-time third level education, including further education and training
- This card gives the Young Adult/Student fare on public transport services, including: Dublin Bus, Go-Ahead Ireland, Luas, Bus Éireann, TFI Local Link, DART and Commuter Rail
- This card also gives 50% off fares on participating commercial bus operators
- Card expires at the start of the following academic year (September)
- Card must be collected at a participating Student Leap Card agent within 14 days of online application, however if you have completed the remote verification process with Trinity SU and have paid the postage fee, you do not need to attend the agent again, your Student Leap Card will be posted to you.
Most people will only choose to get one card but you may apply for both cards depending on your travel needs.
Visit our Fares page for more information