What do I do if my card is lost, stolen or faulty?

Once you register your TFI Leap Card, you can apply for a replacement card or a refund, depending on your card type:

  • Adult and child cards can be replaced or refunded. If you are replacing a personalised card you may need to resubmit your photo.
  • Tax Saver TFI Leap Card can also be replaced through the Leap Card website.
  • Student cards can only have travel credit and tickets refunded (not the €10 Student Card fee).

Simply log-in to your online account, select the ‘Refund or Replace’ option and follow the process.

If your card is lost or stolen and has not been registered, you cannot apply for a replacement/refund. We recommend you register your card as soon as you receive it to protect your balance if your card is lost or stolen.