Here’s how to use your TFI Leap Card
Ok, so you’re getting a TFI Leap Card and now you need to know how to use it. Well, we’ve made it as easy as possible for you to register it, top it up and use it to get to wherever you need to go, with no hassle AND you’ll save money. Ready? Let’s Leap.
Where do I get a TFI Leap Card?
How do I register my TFI Leap Card?
Registering your TFI Leap Card protects your travel credit or tickets if your card is lost or stolen. You can also see your transaction history and register for auto top-up which means you’ll never run out of travel credit and be stuck when you go to make a journey. You can also manage other TFI Leap Cards through your account (for example, your child’s card). Visitor Cards cannot be registered.
Please note that once you report your card lost or stolen it may take up to 48 hours for it to be blocked.
How do I top-up my TFI Leap Card?
- The most popular way to top-up your card is to download our Leap Top-Up appfor free and use it to add credit when you like, check your balance and collect tickets
- At TFI Leap Card Payzone outlets
- At Luas, DART and commuter rail ticket machines
- On board selected bus operators
- Use Auto Top-Upfor regular top-ups to be debited from your bank account
- Online at leapcard.ie, but please note if you top-up online, you still have to collect your travel credit or ticket at either a TFI Leap Card outlet or another nominated load location
What is a load location?
A load location is the point you nominate to collect your online top-up. You can choose:
- Any TFI Leap Card Payzone outlet
- Luas/DART/commuter rail validators and gates in the Short Hop Zone
- On board selected bus operators
- Anywhere with your Leap Top-Up app
You can collect your online top-up at any TFI Leap collection device, no matter what load location you selected at the time of purchase. You can see where the collection device locations are here.
If you are collecting your top-up at a TFI Leap Card Payzone outlet, present your card to the reader at the counter and ask for a balance check. Your online top-up will load and your new balance will update automatically. Remember, it can take up to 48 hours for your travel credit to be ready for collection at your nominated load location.
Ok, I’m ready. How do I use my TFI Leap Card?
We’ll keep this simple:
Train and Luas: touch ON AND touch OFF
Bus: touch ON at the start of your journey only, not off
Don’t forget to touch-on before starting your journey to make sure you have a valid ticket for that journey. Please remember to do this because if you don’t, you may be prosecuted for fare evasion. And always remember to touch-off at the end of your journey on Luas and DART/commuter rail too – there’s no need to touch off on the bus.
New TFI 90 Minute Fare (TFI 90)
The TFI 90 Minute fare now applies to most journeys in the Dublin area. Go from A to B using Dublin Bus, Luas and most DARTs, commuter rail* and Go-Ahead Ireland services in Dublin. Simply touch-on at your first leg, change transport as often as you like for 90 minutes**
The TFI 90 Minute Fare is just €2.30 for adults and students during a promotional period and only 80 cent for children up to and including 18 years.
*In zones 1 to 4 in the Short Hop Zone
** Don’t forget to touch-on before starting each of your journeys when you transfer between services to make sure you have a valid ticket for that journey. Please remember to do this because if you don’t, you may be prosecuted for fare evasion. And always remember to touch-off at the end of your journey on Luas and DART/commuter rail too – there’s no need to touch off on the bus.
Want to know more?
- Get the Leap Top-Up app for Android and iPhone
- Read tips on how to use your TFI Leap Card
- Check out the FAQs
- Contact us here
- Get apps for topping up, planning your next trip or finding out when the next bus is due
- See our full fares section